Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy Now

Ok, I realize it has been for-ev-er (said like the kid in the Sandlot).  Sorry for this!  Life has been good out here.  While last year was spent getting used to being a volunteer and figuring out what that means, the past few months have been just enjoying what I'm doing and loving where I am.  I'm now starting to feel a shift, transitioning to exit mode, figuring out what this experience will mean to me and the community and how to move forward from it.
This year has been completely different from the craziness that was last year.  The two girls I live with are great and we're actually friends, which is a nice change.  While there have been issues this year, it hasn't been one thing after another like last year- my heart doesn't start racing when we have a meeting anymore!  I'm grateful to have Sue and Gordon continuing with me,  I enjoy them.  In addition to enjoying my housemates more this year, I have become part of a "group" of girlfriends out here that are awesome (seriously, if I were a single guy, I would totally move out here... we live in a desert of many sorts, ha!).  Needless to say, my social life is a bit more active than it was and that has been fun.
Work has been up and down.  Right now I'm in the lull that comes with every job, so I won't go into too much as it really wouldn't be an accurate picture.  However, I'm still learning new things and trying to challenge myself to do more.  I've also started preparing for someone else to take over my office.  I hope I've set up enough to make the transition smooth and they can continue what I've started.  Oh, here's a fun story:  I worked on a case last year that was pretty rare, so the CDC and state health department were involved.  Well, they just wrote about it in the CDC's weekly report!  However, they couldn't give us credit without posting our affiliations and our county is small enough that it would be an identifier for the case.  How cool would that have been to get credit in a CDC publication?!?!  At least I know it was me.
This winter has been all about the crafts!  Or, as I like to joke, I watch a lot of TV, hehe.  I have finally brought out my sewing machine and have really gone to town!  I've made a skirt and I'm finishing up my first quilt.  I'm also helping my housemates and another friend make the same skirt.  The quilt has been really neat.  I machine pieced it together from scraps I got at a Mennonite Relief Sale and random other fabric, but I'm hand quilting it.  It's quite the process, but really fun to see it come together and not look too bad (Sue says I'm doing a really good job, which is definitely something you write in diary!).  I'm excited to see what else I can make!
The weather started out colder earlier than last year, but has since warmed up.  It's actually kind of sad how warm it has been.  This will probably be one of my last "real" winters as Seattle is so mild, ha!  Unfortunately, this warm weather also made for a pretty weak snowboarding season.  I have been able to go a few times, but it just isn't the same as last year.  I miss my ski team!  However, I do just love to board and it makes me so happy that this is a part of my life again!

I do want to start this blog back up and keep you updated on finishing my time out here and get excited about the next steps!

A few photos to keep you interested...


No comments:

Post a Comment