Friday, August 19, 2011

Out on the open water

It's been one year since I've arrived in the valley.  wow.  I realized, through my great recordkeeping on my iCal, that it was almost exactly 2 years ago that I decided I need to leave Chicago.  I remember going out to brunch with a large group after church and I sat there thinking "Oh my goodness, I am bored out of my mind... if I don't leave soon, will I ever be able to??"  I can't remember what we were talking about or even where we were, but it gave me the revelation that this is not the place or life for me.

While I'm not changing the world, it's good to know that I'm doing some good for at least one community.  And, that even my free time isn't so selfish.  It's all about community.  It has been a good year, hard, but good.  The San Luis Valley really is a beautiful place (even if it doesn't look like it!) that is filled with people who are often ignored by others, but supported in this community.  I love that I already know about half the people out here and work often bumps into personal life.

Since it's the end of one year for me, that means it's the end and beginning of another term!  Ben left last week, he was a great member of the house, he will be missed!  We have two new volunteers with us now: Asha and Sarah.  Asha came in the beginning of July, she's from Indiana and went to Grinnel College in Iowa, and she's working at Tu Casa (support for women in abusive relationships).  Sarah came at the end of July, she's from Fresno, CA, and went to UC Berkley, she's working at PALS (a program for at risk youth, where Chloe worked).  I think it's going to be a good year.

That also means... a year till I try to move back to Seattle!!

Photos from the last few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment